It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Mont Belvieu, and the City is excited to celebrate with both beloved favorites and new events that are sure to put the community in the holiday spirit.
"Christmas has always been a big deal in Mont Belvieu," said City Manager Nathan Watkins. "The Christmas On The Hill Parade has continued to grow in size and popularity and that drove the City's desire to do more for our residents during the holidays."
Mont Belvieu’s most beloved holiday tradition, the Christmas on the Hill Parade, enters it’s 11th year. This event draws thousands of people from across the area to kick off the holiday season with floats, lights, music, and more. And, you better be on the nice list; you never know if you-know-who might make his way to MB! The parade is scheduled for Sunday, December 8 at 6:00 p.m. along Eagle Drive. This year’s parade will feature a new route; you can find a link to the map of the updated route HERE.
Along with the Christmas On The Hill Parade, the Mont Belvieu Parks & Recreation Department is adding several other new events for families to enjoy:
- Lighting of the Oil Derrick in City Park – On November 30, the replica historic oil derrick at A.B. Davis Plaza inside City Park will be lit for the holidays. The lighted derrick was a big hit with the community last year; this year the City will debut a new LED lighting system that will illuminate the derrick with various color schemes year-round.
- Movies Under the Stars – Holiday Edition: The Grinch – The mean green hits the big screen at City Park on December 7th at 6:30 p.m. The animated feature film “The Grinch” will be our special holiday presentation of Movies Under the Stars. Come early to get a great seat and bundle up in front of the City’s giant outdoor screen and enjoy food and treats from our on-site food vendors.
- Theatre In The Park: “A Christmas Carol” - Stage Door, Inc. and The City of Mont Belvieu are partnering for the first time to bring Charles Dickens' classic holiday tale, A Christmas Carol, to the stage at City Park. Performances will be December 13 and 14 at 7:00 p.m. Mont Belvieu Parks and Recreation Director Dustin Schubert said, “Partnering with Stage Door, Inc. and being a part of this production is a great way for us to bring new programming into City Park. We have a wonderful stage out there and we want to make the most of it. I can’t wait for our residents to come out and enjoy ‘A Christmas Carol’ in the park with their families.” Stage Door, Inc. Executive Director Marc Anthony Glover-Garcia added, “Stage Door Inc. is excited to partner with the City of Mont Belvieu to bring a little Christmas spirit to Mont Belvieu City Park with a community production of ‘A Christmas Carol’ to be performed free to the public on December 13th and 14th.” More information about Stage Door, Inc. can be found on their website www.stagedoorinc.org
- Breakfast With Santa – It's the Ho-Ho-Holiday meal the entire family won't want to miss... Breakfast with Santa! That's right, on December 14 from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m., kids from 1 to 99 will have a chance to rub elbows with the big guy and enjoy a warm breakfast. Tickets are required ($10) and space is limited... so follow the link and register today! https://ht.montbelvieuep.net/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/splash.html
*Click on the "Mont Belvieu Events" category to purchase tickets*
- Santa In The City - Jolly ol' St. Nick will make his way around to several spots on "The Hill” where kids and families can snap some pictures and enjoy some treats. Santa Claus will be riding in style with the Mont Belvieu Fire Department on board one of their engines. So, not only will the crowds be able to see Santa, they can talk with MBFD firefighters and tour the truck. Santa will be making his way to HEB on December 15 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., and the Eagle Pointe Recreation Center on December 19 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. And, you never know where else that tricky fire truck riding Santa might show up!
With everything that’s going on, we’re going to give our City elves a rest after it’s all done; City offices will be closed on December 24 and 25 in observance of the Christmas holiday.
For additional information please contact Brian Ligon, Director of Communications and Marketing for the City of Mont Belvieu, at firstname.lastname@example.org