For boys & girls
Ages 11 - 14 years old
Next date: TBD
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
What your babysitter will learn
- How to define leadership and identify role modeling, respect, communication, motivation, taking action, and decision making as important leadership skills.
- Identify ways to respect diversity among the children they babysit.
- Apply the FIND decision-making model to common babysitting situations.
- Use safe and appropriate techniques for finding babysitting jobs.
- List good business practices and professional work behaviors for babysitting.
- Identify safety-related problems and know how to prevent, recognize and fix them to create a safer environment in and around the home.
- Identify which behaviors to expect from children based on their ages and developmental stages.
- Describe the importance of play for children’s growth and development.
- List and apply appropriate techniques to prevent misbehavior and help children engage in desired behaviors.
- List at least three types of basic child care.
- Recognize an emergency.
- Identify and apply the emergency action steps: CHECK—CALL—CARE.
- Explain the differences between life-threatening and non-life-threatening emergencies.
- Identify who to call and when to call in different emergency situations.
- How to check a conscious child or infant.
- Explain how to care for bleeding and burns.
We'll have babysitters demonstrate
- Demonstrate the proper way to wash their hands.
- Demonstrate how to properly remove disposable gloves.
- Demonstrate how to pick up and hold an infant and toddler.
- Demonstrate how to bottle-feed an infant.
- Demonstrate how to spoon-feed an infant or toddler.
- Demonstrate how to diaper an infant or toddler.
- Demonstrate how to help a conscious child or infant who is choking.
- Demonstrate how to check an unconscious child or infant.
- Demonstrate how to give care to an unconscious child or infant who is not breathing.
- Demonstrate the steps to control external bleeding.
$100 for Babysitter Training plus First Aid & CPR certifications
This course provides youth who are planning to babysit with the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and responsibly give care to children and infants. This training will help participants to develop leadership skills; learn how to develop a babysitting business, keep themselves and others safe and help children behave; and learn about basic child care.
Bring with you to class:
- A lunch, drinks & snacks - the Grill will be CLOSED
Girl Scout Cadets can take this course to work towards earning their Babysitter badge.